This tale was told to me by Wendy Ng, who lived at the affected block at that time with her brothers and parents.
It was her brother Wilson, as reported in the Straits Times the following day, who called the Environment Ministry about the danger to the residents.
Strangely, they were informed that the Ministry would only send workers to eradicate the bee hive only the next morning !
I wonder if this is the normal operating procedure? Wouldn't the danger of getting stung warrant an immediate response to this situation?
The report also mentioned that 2 residents were already stung by the bees. Just turn off the lights and shut your doors and windows, advised the Police.
Hmm, in today's age of social media, I wonder how the people would respond to this kind of advice.
I guess that's the price you pay when your estate is located beside the luscious natural greenery that is Bukit Gombak.
A follow-up report in the Straits Times of 6 August 1981.